Re: p7zip and YACReader

Am 09.09.2014 um 16:52 schrieb Paul Wise:
On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Alexander Alemayhu wrote:

source code isn't used to build p7zip but to build a wrapper for p7zip, as it
comes without proper headers for library inclusion.  On Debian, the wrapper uses
Debian's version of p7zip, but it still needs a part of its source code at build
time to build the glue logic.
Felix, could you explain this in more detail? Needing the source of
another package during build isn't a normal thing to do.

I'll try. YACReaders source code uses a bunch of code and header files from p7zip to build it's internal logic (wrapper, whatever) to access 7z.so and Rar29.so. 7z.so and Rar29.so are then loaded dynamically at runtime. As I wrote before, there are no official library headers for these .so files, so this approach is not as uncommon as one would think.
From a packagers perspective it's a bit problematic. While the pragmatic
approach of repackaging the upstream tarball and adding the needed source files works, I'd rather not do that. It's sort of a case of convenience code, the code already exists in Debian and from a security point of view it would be good if the version of that code would match the version of p7zip present in Debian.