Re: Python 3 only package

On 06/12/2014 03:44 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2014, at 10:03 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
>
>> A supplementary question - do I need to name the package
>> "python3-foo" if a python 2 version is not being provided any
>> more? Or will python-foo do? Previous versions were just "foo"
>> and being dealt with by Conflicts/Replaces.
>
> This could be your problem.  Indeed, you currently need to name
> your binary package python3-foo in order for pybuild do DTRT with
> Python 3-only packages. You'll often see this with Python 3-only
> applications, as opposed to libraries, which should always be named
> python-foo (Python 2) or python3-foo (Python 3).  I recently saw
> this with the latest python-virtualenv package.

Thanks Barry - that answers the question about naming the package and
why I need to call them python3-*.
Unfortunately, I have used python3-* names so it still doesn't explain
why the build fails.

> I know that Piotr (pybuild's author) was talking about also
> respecting ${python3:Depends} as a signal to kick in Python 3
> build, but I don't think that's landed yet.
>
> So, if your package is a Python library, call it python3-foo for
> now.  If it's an application and you don't want to use the
> `python3-` prefix, it's still a good idea to set the build system
> to pybuild, but you'll need to do more of the work manually, at
> least until the above change lands.

It is an application, but I am splitting it up into a gui app and a
webapp (django based) that depend on a core library. It sounds like
python3-* and pybuild are the right options - I try and avoid manual
work when I can :-)

> debian-python@ and #debian-python might be better places to get
> more focused help.  If you have a vcs branch, please post it and we
> might be able to help.

It is in a local git branch, so I will do a few more experiments, tidy
up, push it and take it to the python list. After I get the python 3
bit working, I still anticipate a couple of bumps along the way to a
working django app anyway!

> Cheers, -Barry

Thanks again,

Ross