Python 3 only package

Hi,

I am getting a build failure when trying to build a "Python 3 only"
package following the guidance in the Python Library Style Guide:
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

This is the error message:
E: pybuild pybuild:256: build: plugin distutils failed with: exit
code=1: /usr/bin/python3 setup.py build

The "plugin distutils failed" bit in the error message rings an alarm
when I read the following in the style guide:

"Note: If you are building a Python 3-only package (i.e. there's no
Python 2 support) then it is highly recommended you explicitly set the
dh build system to pybuild. By default, if there is a setup.py, dh will
set the build system to python_distutils which only supports Python 2
and you'll get errors during package build as it tries to invoke some
nonexistent Python 2 tools."

I thought I was explictly using pybuild. From d/rules:
%:
	dh $@ --with python3 --buildsystem=pybuild

Any clues to what is wrong here?

I am building with pbuilder in Ubuntu 14.04 in case that matters (it
hasn't mattered before with quite a few other packages). My sid
packaging setup died, and I have not got around to setting up a new one. :-(

A supplementary question - do I need to name the package "python3-foo"
if a python 2 version is not being provided any more? Or will python-foo
do? Previous versions were just "foo" and being dealt with by
Conflicts/Replaces.

Cheers,

Ross