Re: Python 3 only package

On Jun 11, 2014, at 10:03 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:

>A supplementary question - do I need to name the package "python3-foo"
>if a python 2 version is not being provided any more? Or will python-foo
>do? Previous versions were just "foo" and being dealt with by
>Conflicts/Replaces.

This could be your problem.  Indeed, you currently need to name your binary
package python3-foo in order for pybuild do DTRT with Python 3-only packages.
You'll often see this with Python 3-only applications, as opposed to
libraries, which should always be named python-foo (Python 2) or python3-foo
(Python 3).  I recently saw this with the latest python-virtualenv package.

I know that Piotr (pybuild's author) was talking about also respecting
${python3:Depends} as a signal to kick in Python 3 build, but I don't think
that's landed yet.

So, if your package is a Python library, call it python3-foo for now.  If it's
an application and you don't want to use the `python3-` prefix, it's still a
good idea to set the build system to pybuild, but you'll need to do more of
the work manually, at least until the above change lands.

debian-python@ and #debian-python might be better places to get more focused
help.  If you have a vcs branch, please post it and we might be able to help.

Cheers,
-Barry