Re: argument against splitting packages

On 24-04-14 20:41, Don Armstrong wrote:
> The cases where you should split are generally really obvious; if it's
> not clear, ask here or in #debian-mentors, and you'll get some
> reasonable advice.

Ok, so let me show one of the two issues I have at hand (the other is
currently being discussed on pkg-pascal-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org).

The doublecmd-help package [1] of Graham Inggs (who I sponsor a lot), is
currently building three packages. One package per language that is
provided by upstream. These packages together add up to 12MB, about 4MB
per package. Now, if I were a user of one of these packages I would
appreciate the languages being separated (which means less HD space),
but as a non-user of the package, it just adds two additional packages.
So where would a reasonable size limit be?

The other discussion is indeed about packages that are usually found
together, but also the installed size is ~200MB, so splitting up for
people that don't need all components could save significant space.

Paul

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/doublecmd-help.html

PS: I assume Graham is still on this list. I am not trying to hide this
from him.