Re: argument against splitting packages

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, Paul Gevers wrote:
> The one argument that I can come up with is that adding a package also
> adds about 1kB to the data that everybody in Debian has to download
> (on every update), also the people that are not interested in the
> package (which may be many).

It also increases the size of the dependency graph which apt and friends
must handle, which increases the memory necessary to install Debian, and
the time which it takes to parse and solve the graph.

In general, if everyone would normally install both packages, the
architectures match, and the split packages are not large, it's not
worth splitting.

The cases where you should split are generally really obvious; if it's
not clear, ask here or in #debian-mentors, and you'll get some
reasonable advice.

S: Make me a sandwich
B: What? Make it yourself.
S: sudo make me a sandwich