Re: Newbie questions: open ITP before RTS?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Daniel James wrote:

> 1. When packaging a new library that has no ITP or RFP bug open against
> WNPP, should a non-Debian Developer like myself open an ITP bug, as well
> as the RFS bug (with ITP in the subject line) which I have already
> opened against sponsorship-requests?

This is the ideal order:

Decide you want to package something.

File Intent To Package (ITP) for something.

Package something.

File Request For Sponsor (RFS) of something.

> 2. Is it always necessary to explicitly declare a license for the
> packaging files under the debian/ directory? My intention was to donate
> the packaging files to the upstream project (not as part of the upstream
> source tarball, as I know that is discouraged) and so I don't need to
> claim separate copyright or use a different license. Personally, I'd be
> happy to use upstream's copyright notice for the entire package.

The files you created get copyright automatically (in most
jurisdictions) and the default license for copyrighted files is 'all
rights reserved', meaning no-one can do anything at all with it while
complying with the law. If you don't add a license, no-one who isn't
willing to disobey the law can distribute your files, this includes
Debian and mentors.debian.net.

--
bye,
pabs