Newbie questions: open ITP before RTS?

Hi mentors,

I have a couple of questions about my work-in-progress first upload:

http://mentors.debian.net/package/python-ebooklib

and couldn't find a definitive answer in the docs, hopefully these
questions haven't been answered too many times before :-)

1. When packaging a new library that has no ITP or RFP bug open against
WNPP, should a non-Debian Developer like myself open an ITP bug, as well
as the RFS bug (with ITP in the subject line) which I have already
opened against sponsorship-requests?

(I'm guessing this ITP is required in order to put a Closes: line in the
changelog, but I don't want to open a duplicate if that is the wrong
thing to do).

2. Is it always necessary to explicitly declare a license for the
packaging files under the debian/ directory? My intention was to donate
the packaging files to the upstream project (not as part of the upstream
source tarball, as I know that is discouraged) and so I don't need to
claim separate copyright or use a different license. Personally, I'd be
happy to use upstream's copyright notice for the entire package.

(Upstream releases the library under GNU AGPL v3, so if I have to
declare a license, I guess I would use the same license to keep things
simple).

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Daniel