Re: Real newbie ....

+++ Barry Drake [2014-04-13 22:06 +0100]:
> On 13/04/14 20:40, Wookey wrote:
> >Looking at the build log should give some clues about which
> >dependencies get installed. I would guess that your problem is
> >that the chroot pbuilder is using is out of date (and thus has
> >libicu48 still around, or is not set to use only unstable
> >packages?).

> >Each build gives you a nice log file
> >showing exactly what was installed to satisfy the build deps, so
> >you shoul dbe able to see which libicu version was installed. I've
> >not checked anything, so it could be more subtle than this, but
> >that's my first guess.

I built your source in an uptodate unstable chroot (after fixing the
package version number to have a '-1' on the end). It built fine,
installing libicu52 to do so, and ended up with that dep in the final
packages. So the problem is in your environment (chroot), not the
sources or the tools.

> I've attached the log.  Thanks.

It doesn't mention icu at all, so presumably libicu48 is already
installed in your chroot.

> Setting up pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (0.invalid.0) ...
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> Initializing package states...
> Writing extended state information...
>   apparmor-easyprof{a} bsdmainutils{a} debhelper{a} dh-apparmor{a}
>   dh-python{a} diffstat{a} file{a} gettext{a} gettext-base{a} groff-base{a}
>   intltool-debian{a} libasprintf-dev{a} libasprintf0c2{a} libcroco3{a}
>   libexpat1{a} libffi6{a} libgettextpo-dev{a} libgettextpo0{a}
>   libglib2.0-0{a} libmagic1{a} libpipeline1{a} libpython3-stdlib{a}
>   libpython3.3-minimal{a} libpython3.3-stdlib{a} libunistring0{a}
>   libxml2{a} man-db{a} mime-support{a} po-debconf{a} python3{a}
>   python3-minimal{a} python3.3{a} python3.3-minimal{a} quilt{a}
> 0 packages upgraded, 34 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 309 kB/11.9 MB of archives. After unpacking 40.6 MB will be used.
>  pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy : Depends: libsword-dev (>= 1.5.11) which is a virtual package.
>                                  Depends: libclucene-dev but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: poxml which is a virtual package.
>                                  Depends: libboost-dev but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: cmake but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: pkg-config but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: libcurl4-gnutls-dev but it is not going to be installed.
>                                  Depends: libqtwebkit-dev but it is not going to be installed. or
>                                           libqt4-dev (<= 4:4.7.0~beta1) but it is not going to be installed.
> Unable to resolve dependencies!  Giving up...

This doesn't look like it is building anything - it can't install the
build-deps. perhaps your issue is that you have old .debs around and
they are not being rebuilt when you think they are.

Make a new, clean, unstable chroot and use that for the builds. Things
should start working better then.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/