Re: DEP8 tests using the built package source

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:33:06 +0100, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:47:45AM +0100, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:35:33 +0100, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
> > wrote:
> > > In other words what we can see in the log above conflicts with the
> > > documentation if make is not found and should be reported as bug in
> > > autopkgtest ?
> >
> > As far as I can see from the logs, there was no declared dependency on
> > make or @builddeps@, so make's absence is correct as per the
> > documentation.
>
> For sure make is not in @builddeps@ since it is build-essential ... which is
> actually my point.

See the documentation:

    `@builddeps@' will be replaced by the package's Build-Depends:,
    Build-Depends-Indep:, and "make". This is useful if you have many build
    dependencies which are only necessary for running the test suite and
    you don't want to replicate them in the test Depends:. However, please
    use this sparingly, as this can easily lead to missing binary package
    dependencies being overlooked if they get pulled in via build
    dependencies.

@builddeps@ does include make.

But autopkgtests don't get build-essential installed by default, which is
indeed somewhat surprising! (Although somehow in my tests gcc is available.)

Regards,

Stephen