Re: Splitting in /usr/lib/<arch> and /usr/share

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> writes:

>> > Do we enforce this?
>>
>> "9.1.1 File System Structure
>>
>> The location of all files and directories must comply with the
>> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), version 2.3, with the exceptions
>> noted below, and except where doing so would violate other terms of
>> Debian Policy. [...]" [2]
>>
>> I would interpret this as: Yes, we do.
> I mean do we check this in e.g. lintian. I also wonder if finding an
> arch-indep file in /usr/lib should result in an RC bug.

>From the BTS documentation [1]:

| The severity levels are:
| [...]
| serious
|
|   is a severe violation of Debian policy (roughly, it violates a
|   "must" or "required" directive), or, in the package maintainer's or
|   release manager's opinion, makes the package unsuitable for release.
|
| [...]
| Certain severities are considered release-critical, [...]
| Currently, these are critical, grave and serious.

Since the Policy 9.1.1 states (see above) "... *must* comply with the
FHS", I would assume that the current agreement is that an
arch-independent file in /usr/lib/ is an RC bug. When this was not the
intention, it should be clarified in the policy (or the BTS docs).

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer