Re: Splitting in /usr/lib/<arch> and /usr/share

Le 08/03/2014 14:02, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am packaging some older software (eso-midas, [1]) that installs
> everything into a common directory (f.e. /usr/lib/eso-midas/). However,
> the FHS requires that this should be split between /usr/share/ and
> /usr/lib/<arch>/. In the majority of cases, this could be done
> automatically by recognizing the type with the "file" command: object
> files, libs etc. go to /usr/lib/<arch>/eso-midas/, all text and data
> files to /usr/share/eso-midas (with a link to
> /usr/lib/<arch>/eso-midas).
>
> Is there already a little helper script that does this for me?

Hi Ole,

Nice you are packaging MIDAS.

I don't know any such script, and I doubt it would do the right job
anyway. Are the indep files generated?

What I would try is to compile the package on two distinct architectures
(or more) and compare the result. That would work unless the build for
these files is non-deterministic or includes timestamps or information
on the build machine.

amd64 and i386 may be sufficient and, if you have an amd64 box, it's
easy enough to install a i386 chroot. Failing that, as a DM, you can
request access to porter boxes (you are not a DD yet, are you?). I could
also do the compilation for you since, as a DD, I have permanent access
to those machines:
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

I guess you do realize that this split also implies putting the indep
files in a separate arch:all package.

Kind regards, Thibaut.