Re: Weird conffile case

On 04.03.14 08:58:58, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2014 17:56:38 Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
> > The part "undo damage" I do not understand. From what I understand
> > dpkg compares the new config with the existing one. So to upgrade from
> > stable properly I would have to replace my new config with the
> > identical to the existing one, i.e. preprocess it in postinst, just as
> > the stable package preprocesses it.
>
> Yes, the idea is to restore the original values of maradns_uid and
> maradns_gid. But do no more, otherwise you may alter modifications done by
> user.
>
> This needs to be done *with* Russ's suggestions regarding patching maradns.
>
> > But then I violate 10.7.3 again.
> > Is that right?
>
> I believe it's ok if you restore only maradns_uid and maradns_gid and leave
> all other modifications alone.
>
> More seasoned DDs will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so I have been sitting in this for past few hours. It appears that
I cannot undo the damege in posting because it is called after dpkg
compares configs. So I migrated checking to preinst, where I check if
the upgraded version in 1.4.X and reverse the damage. However this
breaks the upgrade in postinst, in which debhelper injects code to
start/stop maradns. It cannot stop previous maradns because the config
in different (different user and group).

Is it ok to manually kill process in preinst in such situation ?

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz Dwornikowski, Assistant at Institute of Computing Science, Poznań University of Technology