Re: What's the proper way to build from debian dsc

On Fri, 24 May 2013 02:14:39 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I'm a system learner. I.e., I learn through build up my overall
> knowledge first, before rolling up my sleeves and dive in. While trying
> to learn to maintain debian packages, I realized that there are A LOT to
> learn, which is hard. And I found what makes it even harder is that I
> have to learn such practical things bits by bits here and there. I.e.,
> if such practical issues has been written out clearly, my life would be
> much easier.

I had always been trying to maintain some useful debian packages that are
orphaned. More than 10 years ago, when glimpse was removed from the repo
[1], I told myself it was time to learn to maintain debian packages, so
that I could maintain glimpse (IMHO, glimpse is so far still the best
*personal* searching tool, and I still think it is more a 'political'
decision for it to be removed).

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/09/msg00312.html

But I have to admit that maintaining debian/ubuntu packages is convoluted
to me, even though I've tried to pick it up many times. I was always
defeated merely by reading through the overwhelmingly vast information,
and made only half way through. So it never happened.

More than 10 years later, now I'm hoping to do it with a different
approach. In stead of starting background reading from the start over and
over again and never able to make it to the end, I'm going to start with
the easiest step that I can think of -- try to build and upload a
orphaned/removed package as the first step.

So I found the glimpse dsc file at
ftp://ftp.cstone.net/debian/pool/non-free/g/glimpse/glimpse_4.18.5-1.dsc

Can anyone explain me in simple commands how I can build and test upload
this glimpse package please? Of course, starting from to get it, and then
properly update the debian/changelog, all the way to test upload, in as
few steps as possible.

Maybe "increase the least significant version # and add my change
comment, and my id" can be handled by a single properly parameterized dch
command, or maybe not. But proper commands always speaks for themselves.

Thanks