Re: What replaces glimpse?

On 03 Sep 2001, Andras BALI wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 03:14:58PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > > Apt/dselect has just removed my glimpse package :-(
> > > What is supposed to replace this?
>
> > I've occasionally found packages removed in updates, recently it was
> > aptitude.  Not sure why.
>
> No, glimpse is removed from the Debian archive for good due to the
> fact that there was no new upload for almost three years and it had a
> grave security bug since March 2000.  Newer upstream versions of
> glimpse seems to have unacceptable license for Debian.
>
> More information:
> http://bugs.debian.org/glimpse
> http://bugs.debian.org/60852
> http://bugs.debian.org/109355
> http://webglimpse.net/licensing.html
>
> You could try `htdig', `namazu' or `swish++' for indexing your
> documents.
>
> --
> BALI, Andra's                                  GPG keyID: 78560E1C
> drewie@bigfoot.com     bali@debian.org     andras.bali@stud.bke.hu

Yes, after looking at the glimpse web page I gathered that it was
probably a 'political' decision to remove it; it seems to have become
shareware, so it's fair enough.

Htdig seems to be for html only. Namazu didn't work for me - kept producing
error messages in Japanese!  I got the swish++ deb package but it didn't
install the binary - a bug in the package on testing? Finally I got the
tar.gz package from the swish++ website (it's actually NOT compressed,
just a tar package), and it seems to be working now after compiling.

Thanks to all for help.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

What the world will be like a century hence, was never so impossible to
foresee. Like a gigantic snowball, larger and larger, faster and faster,
science hurtles with us all into the unknown.       [F.L. Lucas - 1955]