Re: I'm so frustrated trying to adopt a package, I could scream.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 02:45:42PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I appreciate your time.  I had tried the email to control as my first
> method, but there was no response, no success or error.
That's strange. Make sure you've sent the email to the proper address.

> So after reading through the debian mentors pages here,
> http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers, where it says that the
> reportbug system is the preferred way
It doesn't say that and it doesn't talk about managing bugs anyway.

> Now I'm registered on the upload website and I have isolated a
> possible explanation for my troubles. I've got a lot of different
> emails, the one that my package signing key refers to is
> pauljohn32@freefaculty.org.  But in the message to control, I tried to
> use my gmail address.  I suppose also the control email may check my
> "from" address to make sure it is the one I am registered with.
First, the BTS is not related to mentors.d.n. Second, you can use any
email when interacting with the BTS, there is no registration there.

> If I ever do succeed with this, I'm going to come back and start a big
> argument with you all.  This process is badly designed.  If Debian
> wants people to maintain packages, why not make adoption simpler?  The
> package itself is the important part, any other hassle is pure dead
> weight on the Debian development process :(
I agree with Jeremy here and it's sad to see that people who want to
maintain packages often never used the BTS, even for reporting bugs. While
this may mean insufficient familiarity with Debian, first of all it means
the maintainer will have problems with managing bugs in the packages they
maintain.

--
WBR, wRAR