I'm so frustrated trying to adopt a package, I could scream.

Please talk me off the ledge. I'm about to jump.

I've been trying to file ITA on blt
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=664092)
and the package claiming system is driving me insane.

Today I tried to use reportbug.  Almost immediately, the feedback from
Andrey Rahmatullin was

> It's ITA, not ITP, and you forgot to retitle and claim the bug..

I don't see how I'm supposed to do that?

I'm pasting in what I see when I run reportbug in an Emacs shell. As
it turns out, the shell hangs when reportbug tries to launch the
"sensible editor", but I don't mind because I don't want to submit
until you tell me exactly what's supposed to be in the report. OK?

$ reportbug --email=pauljohn32@freefaculty.org wnpp
*** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address
of the submitter).
Detected character set: UTF-8
Please change your locale if this is incorrect.

Using 'Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@freefaculty.org>' as your from address.
Will send report to Debian (per lsb_release).
What sort of request is this? (If none of these things mean anything to you, or
you are trying to report a bug in an existing package, please press Enter to
exit reportbug.)

1 ITP  This is an `Intent To Package'. Please submit a package description
       along with copyright and URL in such a report.
2 O    The package has been `Orphaned'. It needs a new maintainer as soon as
       possible.
3 RFA  This is a `Request for Adoption'. Due to lack of time, resources,
       interest or something similar, the current maintainer is asking for
       someone else to maintain this package. They will maintain it in the
       meantime, but perhaps not in the best possible way. In short: the
       package needs a new maintainer.
4 RFH  This is a `Request For Help'. The current maintainer wants to continue
       to maintain this package, but they needs some help to do this, because
       their time is limited or the package is quite big and needs several
       maintainers.
5 RFP  This is a `Request For Package'. You have found an interesting piece of
       software and would like someone else to maintain it for Debian. Please
       submit a package description along with copyright and URL in such a
       report.

######### commentary ###
There's no ITA option here.

If I choose "1", it asks me a questions as if I were starting a brand
new package. That's what I tried earlier today, anyway.

What am I supposed to do?  Please write S-L-O-W-L-Y because I'm having
trouble with instructions.

########## OK, I keep trying

> blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time package
Your report will be carbon-copied to debian-devel, per Debian policy.
Querying Debian BTS for reports on wnpp (source)...
4612 bug reports found:

 Bugs with severity normal: 867 remain
     1) #140577  RFA: knews -- Graphical threaded news reader
## snip out here several pages of bugs...
   563) #664091  O: battleball -- soccer game played with tanks or helicopters
   564) #664092  O: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time pac
   565) #664094  O: pilot-manager -- PalmPilot PIM, UI, and Conduit Manager
   566) #664095  O: syncbbdb -- BBDB to PalmOS Pilot Manager conduit
   567) #664097  O: wmppp.app -- PPP dial control and network load monitor wit
   568) #664098  O: wmrack -- Combined CD Player + Mixer designed for WindowMa
   569) #664099  O: xarclock -- reversed xclock
   570) #664100  O: xbomb -- a 'minesweeper' game with squares, hexagons or tr
   571) #664570  ITA: greekocr4gamera -- toolkit for building OCR systems for
   572) #664595  RFH: php5 -- server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language
(551-572/4612) Is the bug you found listed above [y|N|b|m|r|q|s|f|e|?]? y
Enter the number of the bug report you want to give more info on,
or press ENTER to exit: #564

Please provide a subject for your response.
[Re: O: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time
package]> ITA: blt -- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time
package
Spawning sensible-editor...
"/tmp/reportbug-wnpp-20130209-12076-snT0pl" 6L, 168CSubject: ITA: blt
-- the BLT extension library for Tcl/Tk - run-time package
Followup-For: Bug #664092
Package: wnpp
Owner: Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@freefaculty.org>

###########stop there

When "sensible-editor" opens, what do I type into the body of the
message to make this complete the ITA?

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director