Re: BUG#574668: RFS: libroxml

Hi,

I sent an RFS recently, but got no answers.
Reading the thread about the "Analysis of the RFS process", and I understand that mentoring takes time and therefore, mentors are careful when choosing a maintainer and his package.

Therefore, here are some information about my package and myself:

The project is a small XML library that implement parsing, creation and modification of an XML tree following a DOM-like model. It was first designed for embedded systems:
- small binary
- low RAM footprint
- fast processing
The second goal was to have a simple library with a few functions so that it is easy to use. Each function does only 1 thing and there are less than 30 API functions. This makes it in my opinion a good choice for any project that needs to deal with some XML files, but doesn't need the full libxml2. The whole library is written in C and is, I think, simpler than tinyxml.
Indeed, to be simple, fast and small, there must be a trade of: the XML specification is not fully implemented (no DOCTYPE support for instance), also only basic xpath processing is implemented (not all xpath functions are available). Still this is usually enough for most of the use cases.

I started to develop libroxml in the end of 2008 and worked on it on a regular basis since then.
I have been fixing issues as they were submitted by the users of the library with reasonable delays, depending on my availability, but always responded and took care of bug fixing as quickly as I could.
I am not planning on quiting the project anytime soon, and even though there might not be new feature (I don't want to add tons of functions), I'll always work on improving stability and performances.

I packaged the library as a Debian package since the beginning  and got more and more used to the Debian maintainer process. I now build each release using pbuilder and check the resulting packages with lintian. I hope that I am now doing everything that is required to match the Debian standards, but I am welcoming any comments.

Pushing this package to debian is for me a first step in starting to work with the Debian project, and contributing to the opensource community.

Best regards.

Tristan Lelong