Re: Volunteer in need of a mentor

On 23 September 2013 17:12, Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Beco,
>
> Welcome.

Thanks Paul.

> It is our custom on this list to try to just answer questions as they
> come along. So no dedicated mentor is appointed.

Own... That is a pity. I recall someone telling me about dedicated
mentors. I think its the girls mentor site.

>> I would need help to find useful links
>
> Although it might be a touch read, I really recommend to familiarize
> yourself with the policy [1]. A real good read is the maintainer guide
> [2] and the developers reference [3].
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
> [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
> [3] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/index.en.html

Good! I'll start with that. But without a mentor it will be hard to
know if I'm doing the right things, and I don't want to pollute the
list with too basic questions. Anyway, thanks. I'll manage somehow.

> I don't recommend packaging a library to start with. It is difficult to
> get all the packaging tricks of a normal package in Debian right. Let
> alone the additional problems of proper library handling.

I think I need to stick with the library. I can do so many things at
time. It's not a question about how fun it is. Its because I'll be
concentrating on the standards, packaging, and documenting... So,
doing it with my own program I feel much more confident if I mess it
up, that's one, and two, I won't need to spend time on new code, which
frees me to the package task itself. Also, I need to put my library at
least in a good form to share it with students locally, and I would
like it to install with dpkg in some standard places in their systems.

> Paul

Cheers,
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." (H. Jackson Brown Jr.)