Re: Upstream database update not in a single step

On Tue, August 27, 2013 10:50, Paul Wise wrote:
> A workaround might be to record the SQL commands run by the
> intermediate versions upgrade process and run those before the current
> upgrade script. You would need to do this for every version and check
> the code to make sure they are not different depending on the data in
> the database.

Upstream actually does provide a database update script, but it does not
upgrade directly from the version currently in Debian to the latest
version. It requires an intermediate step, the update script recommends
getting a certain git revision from github and running the db-update
script from there.

I've extracted the update script from the indicated revision and all php
files actually needed to run it. My current version of the package
installs them into /usr/share/spotweb/db-update/<version>. postinst then
checks whether the intermediate step is needed, and runs the update script
from the intermediate version. This seems to work nicely in a simple
install-upgrade situation, but I'll do some more tests when the package is
actually used before the upgrade.

I've uploaded the current version of spotweb to mentors[1] and to the git
repository on alioth[2].

I'd be really happy if someone could have a look at the update mechanism
I've used (and to the updated spotweb packaging in general :-)

Cheers

Jan-Pascal

[1] http://mentors.debian.net/package/spotweb
[2] git://anonscm.debian.org/users/janpascal-guest/spotweb.git
    http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/janpascal-guest/spotweb.git