Re: Upstream database update not in a single step

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Jan-Pascal van Best wrote:

> My problem is that upstream does not provide a single-step database
> upgrade from the version in Wheezy to the current version. Normally
> database upgrades are performed by running a PHP script (upgrade-db.php)
> which uses a number of other PHP script. When upgrading to the most recent
> release, the upstream upgrade script gives an error message and suggests
> to download an intermediate version and run the upgrade-db script from
> that version. Trouble is that said script needs the entire intermediate
> release of Spotweb, so I can't just include the intermediate upgrade
> script and call that from postinst.sh.

That is a tricky situation.

> Any ideas on how to proceed?

Ideally get upstream to implement a proper upgrade mechanism. I think
there are some PHP frameworks that have good mechanisms for this but
I'm not sure which ones.

A workaround might be to record the SQL commands run by the
intermediate versions upgrade process and run those before the current
upgrade script. You would need to do this for every version and check
the code to make sure they are not different depending on the data in
the database.

--
bye,
pabs