Re: ITP to debian-devel vs. debian-mentors?

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Marwan Tanager <marwan.tngr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 08:38:56PM -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>> Hi Marwan,
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Marwan Tanager <marwan.tngr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > I'm a recent subscriber to the Debian mentors and developers lists, and I
>> > notice that some ITP requests are sent to debian-devel against wnpp and others
>> > to debian-mentors against sponsorship-requests.
>> >
>> > Could someone please clarify under what conditions should ITP requests be sent
>> > to either lists and against either pseudo-packages, because the requests on
>> > both lists look pretty similar?
>>
>> ITP bug reports are (or at least should) always be cc-ed to
>> debian-devel; they can be filed by both DDs and non-DDs.
>>
>> Typically, package maintainers who are not either DDs or DMs, i.e. do
>> not have upload rights to the Debian archive, will then file a RFS
>> (request for sponsorship) bug report to ask for a DD to review and
>> upload their package; these requests are always filed under the
>> sponsorship-requests pseudo-package and cc-ed to debian-mentors.
>
> Thanks, Vincent.
>
> So, you're saying that if I've upload rights, I should file the report against
> wnpp and cc debian-devel?

Regardless of whether or not you have upload rights, you should file
an ITP report against wnpp and cc debian-devel. Also note that I say
"should" instead of "must"; it's not a requirement for an ITP bug to
be filed prior to uploading a new package (it's not mandated by
Policy, but dev-ref [1] instead), but it's fairly common practice and
there's no reason not to do so.

If all this is still confusing to you, just use reportbug; it'll take
care of assigning your report to the right package and
X-Debbugs-CC-ing it to the right lists.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#newpackage