Re: Why is it so hard to get sponsors.....?

On 26/02/13 21:51, Arno Töll wrote:
Hi,

On 26.02.2013 22:31, W. van den Akker wrote:
I understand [1] and [2]. I meant uploading to unstable and not testing.
But none of the DD was ever answering the emails......

Be patient and don't give up. I know this can be frustrating and
annoying, and we're slowly trying to improve the situation, but we all
agree the situation is still all but optimal to sponsorees.

Moreover, personally I'm always keen to hear about ideas how to improve
the situation though. So let us know if you got good ideas.
While harsh reality dictates that sponsors will spend their time however they wish, including only sponsoring packages that interest them or have some other relevance, it might be more encouraging if sponsorees could know where they stand apart from the "wall of silence" we have now.

First - a weighted sponsorship priority queue - all packages get a rating and higher-rated packages will get sponsored sooner than others.

Everyone who wants a sponsor for a package will see their package, its position in the queue, and its weighting. "Your call is important to us - you are 15th in the queue" is better than "please hold".

Second - a weighting web interface - even if a sponsor can't/wont sponsor a package they can rate it positively or negatively. This would take seconds with the right web interface, comments optional.

Third, unless a package reaches some negative weighting value which marks it as un-sponsor-able, it will eventually get packaged.

This way, sponsors get to package what they like most of the time, with the occasional package they might prefer not to, for Debians sake.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore