Re: nbc package has been removed from Mentors

On Monday 16 July 2012 11:58:23 Slavko wrote:
> Hi Thibaut,

Hi,

> thank you for quick reply.
>
> Dňa Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:30:35 +0200 Thibaut Paumard
>
> <paumard@users.sourceforge.net> napísal:
> > It's not easy to get a sponsor, especially during a freeze (please
> > read my previous message from 15min ago entitled "Re: freeze policy -
> > open requests for sponsorship").
>
> my package was uploaded a long time before freeze. After freeze i am do
> not expect, that it will be the part of wheeze.
>
> > Don't give up, re-upload and try to send your RFS to maintainers (team
> > or other) who you think should be interested (not only to
> > debian-mentors). When I'm looking for a sponsor, I personally answer
> > my own RFS with a [ping] message every month or so, just to show I'm
> > still there, waiting for a sponsor.
>
> I tried post to electronics team, but without any reply.

Sometimes it is really hard to find the balance... Consider for instance, that
adding more packages to Debian would increase the overall maintenance (in
terms of bugs, reviews, uploads, etc - all human time), which in turn might
lead to exhaustion of sometimes very scarce human resources, which are then
possibly supposed to take care of theirs, and sponsor yours or anyone else
other packages as well. See the loop? Therefore, it is sometimes (but not
always) more appropriate to just help the existing packages, by joining
established teams or simply looking after bug logs of the existing packages
you care for, provided you have the time and the will.

I'm pretty sure, any well maintained package with responsible maintainer
deserves to enter the Debian archive... but the sad part is that sometimes
even such good candidates are not considered on time, due to prosaic reasons,
like lack of time and/or lack of interest. Hence, just keep trying again.

> I am confused
> with these pings now - after the sponsorship-request pseudo package was
> introduced (and RFS bugreports) i understand, that there are no pings
> needed.

You can still prod people and lists from time to time, you think might be
interested in it.

> Another confusion is about the existing RFS bugreport now. It will be
> closed and new one must be created? Or after new upload i will only need to
> post reply to existing bug? Is this somewhere documented, please?

Just re-use the existing one (reportbug -N bugnumber)

> > Concerning your RFS: you should perhaps explain why you think nbc is
> > good for Debian, whether you intend on maintaining it on the longer
> > run (think 5-10 years) and why...
> >
> > In the meantime you can upload your package on a personal repository
> > (have a look at the reprepro package) and try building a userbase
> > outside Debian. Reading the ITP, I see you already have a prospective
> > user, contact him.
>
> I have published it in my public personal repo for some (two or three)
> years, along with others (older or SVN versions) NXT brick's related
> packages for Debian. You can see them at http://slavino.sk/ulozisko-apt
>
> but thanks, i will try it again :-)

Of course, you should try again. Just put some more salt, in hope to whet the
prospective sponsor's appetite.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>