Re: modifications by sponsors

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Bart Martens wrote:

> Is it OK that a sponsor adds modifications to a sponsored package ?

I have done this in the past for small things. I think this is ok as
long as these are small issues and they are reported to the
maintainer.

> Is it OK that a sponsor adds him/herself to "Uploaders" ?

I have done this in the past for libicns. I'm part of upstream and was
sponsoring the other upstream person so he could learn some Debian
packaging stuff and various QA and code quality things. Before the
wheezy freeze he didn't have time to fix all the issues I found so I
just went ahead and fixed them and did an upload, adding me to
uploaders.

> My answers are currently "no" and "no", but there may be different opinions.

My answers are "it depends" and "it depends" :)

Debian, like the real world is not black and white, different
sponsor+sponsee pairs will have different relationships and different
practices. Some DDs refuse to do traditional "sponsorship" and will
*only* accept doing co-maintainence. Other DDs don't care about
helping people learn packaging and just upload with no comments or
with just the things that *must* fixed. Other DDs (like me) overwhelm
maintainers with feedback but don't sponsor uploads (except for their
interests). I guess there are also DDs who ask sponsees to go through
many iterations of their package, gradually improving it before
upload.

I don't think there is one right approach, every sponsor and every
sponsee is different, we all learn at different rates and need
different amounts of interaction to do so.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise