Re: RFS: new powertop version

Hi,

On 26.05.2012 20:11, Julian Wollrath wrote:
>> Also, I'm not sure about new upstream releases via NMU.  Have you offered to
>> co-maintain ?
> No I have not, because I was under the impression, that it is not possible for
> a non Debian developer to co-maintain a package. But if this impression was
> wrong I would willingly offer to co-maintain.
>
> Since I am new to all of this, please accept my apologies if I offended
> somebody with the approach I have taken, which now seems kind of rude in my
> view.

Everyone - including you - can maintain packages. You are not only
allowed to co-maintain them, but also all alone. You still need a Debian
Developer to sponsor your packages, but that person is not responsible
for the package.

Having that said, it is fine to NMU a package when doing so fixes two
release critical bugs and there is no need to apologize if that makes
Debian better(tm).

Co-maintaining the package is even better, but this requires an
acknowledge by the current maintainer(s) and if they are not responsive
that's not going to help you.

Therefore I would suggest you, that you can try to get in touch with
Patrick and offer your help with the package but you still prepare a NMU
meanwhile. If you obey the NMU rules [*] I do not see a problem in doing so.

[*] See the document bremner linked. Basically you are supposed to make
minimally invasive changes only. Do not change packaging style, do not
do cosmetic changes which are a matter of taste and try to keep the
differences low.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll