Re: [RFS] python-xtermcolor

[I don't intend to sponsor this package, sorry.]

* Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it>, 2012-12-05, 23:28:
I've packaged this python module which I think is quite useful

It works for python2 and python3.

http://xdat27.ce.chalmers.se/~salvo/python-xtermcolor/

A direct link to .dsc would have been more helpful:
http://xdat27.ce.chalmers.se/~salvo/python-xtermcolor/python-xtermcolor_1.2-1.dsc

The watch file doesn't work:
| $ uscan --report
| uscan warning: In debian/watch,
|   no matching hrefs for watch line
|   https://github.com/broadinstitute/xtermcolor/tags .*/(\d[\d\.]+)\.tar\.gz

I'm pretty sure distribute_setup.py shouldn't be included in the binary packages.

The README files are not very useful; I wouldn't install them into the binary packages.

Is it intentional that you don't install the command-line tool?

Signal-to-noise ratio in the patch headers is very low. Please re-read them and remove unnecessary parts.

DEP-5 specification reads "There are many versions of the MIT license. Please use Expat instead, when it matches."

The license text should be indented with exactly one space.

I'd recommend you not to use a more restrictive license for debian/ directory than upstream uses.

lintian emits:
I: python-xtermcolor source: binary-control-field-duplicates-source field "section" in package python-xtermcolor
I: python-xtermcolor source: duplicate-short-description python-xtermcolor python3-xtermcolor

debian/README.md doesn't seem to contain any useful information, so I would remove it.

Current standards version in 3.9.4

What is "SHELL=sh -e" for? It doesn't look like it makes any difference here, but maybe I'm missing something.

The code special-cases TERM=vt100, which is quite odd given that this terminal doesn't support colors. On the other hand, there are tons of terminal emulators that do support color, but won't benefit from this package. Oh, and to add insult to injury, VT100 support doesn't even work correctly:
| $ TERM=vt100 python examples/test.py
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "examples/test.py", line 3, in <module>
|     print (colorize('Red on white',0xff0000,bg=0xffffff))
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xtermcolor/__init__.py", line 42, in colorize
|     string = colorize.cmap.colorize(string,rgb,ansi,bg,ansi_bg)
| AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'cmap'

Similarly, if you set TERM=xterm-256color (which is what is needed to get 256 color support in applications using terminfo), you won't get any colors.

--
Jakub Wilk