how to adopt a non-orphaned package?

Dear mentors,

What would be the best practice to adopt a package which was not properly
orphaned?

My particular concern is about 'autofs5' package which was not updated for
years since squeeze release due to maintainer inactivity.

I'd like to adopt this package but it wasn't properly orphaned or requested
for adoption. I already sent an email to maintainer but considering proximity
to freeze, we don't have three months to wait for maintainer's answer (if
ever).

What would be the best practice to adopt the package in such case?

In the updated source package I uploaded to mentors.debian.net I set myself as
maintainer and moved original non-active maintainer to Uploaders.

Contrary to NMU uploads, I'm not sure how to properly adopt a de-facto
orphaned (non-maintained) package.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,