Re: how to adopt a non-orphaned package?

Le Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 06:24:06PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov a écrit :

> What would be the best practice to adopt a package which was not properly
> orphaned?
>
> My particular concern is about 'autofs5' package which was not updated for
> years since squeeze release due to maintainer inactivity.

Dear Dmitry,

judging from the maintainer's QA page, he looks totally inactive indeed.

For the package you would like to adopt, consider that one day, you may be the
inactive person as well, and call for co-mainainers or maintainance in an
existing team, so that the same situation does not happen again. You can for
instance send an "Intend to Hijack" email to debian-devel, and CC it to the
persons who contributed NMUs and patches in the BTS, explaining what you
already explained here, and add that the package has already been NMUed 2
times.  Then, get the package sponsored with you and others as maintainers.
You can keep the current maintainer in the list as well, to show that he is
welcome to work on the package if he can come back to Debian.

But while this would solve the problem with autofs5, this will not solve
the problem with the otehr packages.  You will do a great service to Debian
if in parallel you follow the guidelines that Paul pointed you to, and help
the QA and MIA teams to take care of the other packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,