Re: Documentation generated by doxygen and Debian Policy

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru> wrote:
>>>  I found that in package qxmpp is used HTML documentation from upstream tarball.
>>>  This documentation was not generated by doxygen during build process. Should
>>>  I make a bug report? If yes, which section of Debian Policy I should point to?
>>
>> Well, there's nowhere in the DFSG or copyright (i'm assuming)
>> that says that it must be in some format X. If the original source is,
>> in fact, HTML, there's no problem.
>>
>> The idea is that you communicate the program in a preferable format
>> which can be used (or in some cases, actually is) the thing you
>> distribute.
>>
>> If the docs were generated, and they have a better source format, you
>> should encourage them to use that.
>>
>> The relevant Debian policy is DFSG point 2[1] (Must include source code) :)
>
> Thank you for a reply.
>
> Perhaps I wrote unclear. In few steps:
> 1) There is some HTML documentation [1] in upstream tarball.
> 2) This documentation was generated using Doxygen.

Ahhhh, I see.

> 3) This documentation was packaged in package libqxmpp-doc as is.
> 4) I can not find in tarball the necessary sources for Doxygen and instructions
>   how to generate this documentation manually.

Are these API docs? Is it just a case of a missing Doxyfile (I think
that's the name) or is there something more? Is it missing from
Upstream's source tree?

> The question is: should I make a bug report in this case?

It's important to protect our users' freedoms, and it'd be the clear
right thing to do to include source in the source dist in Debian, but
I'd not accuse upstream of anything.

I'd send a mail out, asking where the source is for the docs, and how
one might rebuild them.

> I am not subscribed to debian-devel list, so I've asked here.

This is a perfect place to ask.

> Best regards,
> Boris
>
> [1] http://qxmpp.googlecode.com/svn-history/tags/qxmpp-0.4.0/doc/html/

Just a quick glance shows this:

http://qxmpp.googlecode.com/svn-history/tags/qxmpp-0.4.0/doc/doc.pro

Could that be used to generate a Doxyfile and run the generation of
the docs? I've not looked at it in a super long time, so I'm not sure
how Doxygen works anymore.