Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu>, 2012-01-19, 17:24:

>> I might be mistaken, but the amount of NEW

> Why only NEW? Checking only NEW packages doesn't buy us more than, say,
> checking only package with with have "r" in their name.

> I know, this is what ftp-folks do. I call this securi^Wdistributability
> theater.

For the main archive, the NEW check I think is best thought of as a spot
check to ensure maintainers are doing their jobs.  The real responsibility
of not uploading non-redistributable material lies with the Debian project
members with upload rights.  ftpmaster is just checking for mistakes (at
the point at which most mistakes are made).

The difference for mentors is that the uploaders are not (yet) Debian
project members and are not guaranteed to be trained in our licensing
policies, and have not agreed to follow our rules.