Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Hi,

I just wanted to join the growing chorus of supporter for this
proposal.  I think its wonderful, and that's only partially because I
resurrected the discussion a few months ago.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40:34 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Dear DSA, do you think it's possible to have a CNAME mentors.debian.org
>> pointing to mentors.debian.net? It's currently not hosted on a .d.o
>> machine but AIUI the mentors.debian.net admins are interested to move it
>> to DSA-managed host at some point.
>
> First all, DSA will not point a debian.org entry to a machine that is not
> maintained by DSA (only exception here for historical reasons is alioth).
>
> Second concern i have here is that (AFAIK) everyone can upload
> everything to mentors.debian.net. Which would mean we then would/could
> distribute non-distribiteable material under the debian.org domain. How
> can this issue be resolved? The webpage only very vague says:
> "You can upload your package to this server (through special tools like
> 'dupload' or 'dput') and after a few checks it will be stored in our
> repository." What are these few checks?!

So, given the first statement above, alioth may not be the best
example, but its a .org machine that is already subject to this
potential problem and it seems to get along just fine.  For example,
www space could potentially be used to host non-distributable files,
and no one is really actively checking for that.  I don't recall if
new users have to agree to the DMUP when they create their alioth
account, but that could be a solution to the problem (on alioth as
well as for mentors); perhaps with some additional wording for this
type of hypothetical misuse.

Note that alioth as a .org machine can even be used as a mentors
alternative today: e.g.
http://alioth.debian.org/~gilbert-guest/unstable.

Also, I would imagine that at some point someone will automate it so
that RFP bug closure causes a removal of the mentors package.  Thus as
bugs are closed out over time, anything non-distributable will just go
away.  Additionally, give reviews to outright close bugs that they
find in such a situation so it goes away more immediately.

Ultimately this is a rather hypothetical concern and as such deserves
to be treated more on a case-by-case basis; rather assuming there is
going to be a lot of abuse leading the discussion toward a strong a
priori solution (in this case rejecting officialization of mentors).

Best wishes,
Mike