Gettext and $DESTDIR$prefix

Hi!

I am making a package (which I am upstream of) translatable using
gettext - It is using a simple Makefile as build system, no autotools.

Is there a way to come around the necessity to get LOCALEDIR (Which
is basically ${DESTDIR}{$prefix}/share/locale) from the Makefile to
the C source?

In other words - is there any simpler way to decide whether the
package should load translations from /usr/... or /usr/local/... ?

I am using bindtextdomain(PACKAGE,LOCALEDIR) where both PACKAGE and
LOCALEDIR is defined in the makefile and sent to the source simply in
this way:

-DLOCALEDIR=\"$(LOCALEDIR)\"

Is this an acceptable way of doing it, or am I missing some gettext
magic that I should be using instead? - This feels a bit "hackish"...

Complete Makefile at
https://raw.github.com/gusnan/devilspie2/master/Makefile

Also - I could use hints on where to get gettext support - I cannot
find any mailinglist, nor IRC-channel that is really suitable for this
kind of question...

Help and suggestions would be much appreciated
/Andreas