Re: RFS: proofgeneral

[Stephane: I am moving the discussion to debian-mentors, because I
got a reply from Mike Dupont there.]

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, Mike and Stephane! I am sorry for the
missing build-dependencies. I somehow expected it takes much
longer until somebody would try my package and that I therefore
would have some time for fixes.

I believe the build dependencies are right now, at least, I get a
clean build in pbuilder.

There are still some known issues, see far below.

Stéphane Glondu writes:

   It's good that you take care of that! I've put Pierre Letouzey, who
   expressed interest in having PG in Debian (and also a Coq developer), in
   CC. I hope you don't mind.

No, I don't mind.

   A few remarks:

    - in debian/changelog, put #554263 on its own line, with an explicit
      statement that you are adopting the package

Done.

    - in debian/changelog, there are two extraneous blank lines after the
      first entry; don't do that

Done.

    - consider using debhelper 8 compat level

Done.

    - consider using http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ for
    debian/copyright

Done. (Nevertheless, I ask myself, why I got the compat level and
the copyright format wrong when following precisely the
guidelines in the new maintainers guide.)

    - what is the rationale of fix-package-name-in-install-path.patch?
      (sorry if it's a stupid question, shame on me if it's
      policy :)

The package name is ``proofgeneral'' and therefore it should use
subdirectories named ``proofgeneral''. The upstream installation
procedure creates various subdirectories ``ProofGeneral''.

    - in general, there are too many patches, and they look written in a
      Debian-specific way. Please consider writing an upstreamable patch
      (it seems that you have commit access to PG) to make things more
      generic, so that there are less Debian-specific patches. Those are a
      pain to maintain in the long run

Yes, I plan to incorporate some of the changes in the upstream
release. But this would be step 2. I would first like to
concentrate on getting an up-to-date version into Debian.

    - there is an extraneous TAGS in the upstream tarball

Yes, that contains tags for the elisp code for developing Proof
General. I don't think this should appear in a Debian package.

    - isn't emacs23-nox enough, as dependency of the binary
    package?

I use now emacs23-nox | emacs23 | emacs23-lucid in the
dependencies.

    - the compilation fails in a clean sid chroot with the following error:

fixed with
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 8), texinfo, texlive-latex-base, texlive-generic-recommended, texi2html, emacs23-nox | emacs23 | emacs23-lucid

Known issues:

- upgrading from version 3.7 asks whether to preserve the changes
  in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50proofgeneral.el even when nobody
  ever changed that. I believe the reason is that version 3.7
  writes that file without registering it with dpkg.

Bye,

Hendrik