Re: RFS: policyd-weight

Hi Thomas,

> * Your debian/copyright doesn't mention yourself, I think
> you should add yourself in the Files: debian/*. The
> debian/copyright is also badly formatted, and generally
> speaking seems to be using a very old definition of the
> DEP5 specifications. It'd be great if you could update that.
done

> * The debian/init.d script doesn't use lsb-base for printing
> messages. Please switch to it (and depend on lsb-base) and
> replace the echoes. Also, the set -e should be (IMHO) set
> earlier in the script. As a bonus point, use the default in
> /lib/init/vars.sh with something like that:
>
> . /lib/init/vars.sh
> . /lib/lsb/init-functions
>
> case "$1" in
>   start)
>         [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC" "$NAME"

done

> * debian/postinst does some checkings against version
> 0.1.14-beta-3, yet, version 0.1.14.17-5 is in ole-stable,
> meaning that right now, you will always get the same
> result. It'd be great, IMO, to fix this, and remove the
> tests and all, since you already know the result of them.
done

> * Please run lintian with the options -Ii -E --pedantic so it
> will show you more issues (like spelling mistakes in the
> man pages, etc.). I wont details them here, since Lintian
> does it better than me! :)

I're rebuild and uploaded the latest package with those fixes. The only thing that needs now to be fixed
are the spelling-errors by the upstream author in the manpages. How do you handle spelling errors by the
upstream author in the relevant manpages? Should i create patches for it? How's the workflow handling
spelling errors by the upstream author?

Cheers and thank you,
Werner Detter

I got those Messages left

werner@smaint:~/git/wd-deb-policyd-weight$ lintian -Ii -E --pedantic policyd-weight_0.1.15.2-1_amd64.changes
I: policyd-weight: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz childs children
N:
N:    Lintian found a spelling error in the manpage. Lintian has a list of
N:    common misspellings that it looks for. It does not have a dictionary
N:    like a spelling checker does.
N:
N:    If the string containing the spelling error is translated with the help
N:    of gettext (with the help of po4a, for example) or a similar tool,
N:    please fix the error in the translations as well as the English text to
N:    avoid making the translations fuzzy. With gettext, for example, this
N:    means you should also fix the spelling mistake in the corresponding
N:    msgids in the *.po files.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: manpages, Type: binary
N:
I: policyd-weight: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz childs children
I: policyd-weight: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz:307
N:
N:    This manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was
N:    intended. By default, "-" chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by
N:    groff, not as minus signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus
N:    signs (U+002D), this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot
N:    cut and paste options, nor search for them easily. The Debian groff
N:    package currently forces "-" to be interpreted as a minus sign due to
N:    the number of manual pages with this problem, but this is a
N:    Debian-specific modification and hopefully eventually can be removed.
N:
N:    "-" must be escaped ("\-") to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:    intend a hyphen (normally you don't), write it as "\(hy" to emphasise
N:    that fact. See groff(7) and especially groff_char(7) for details, and
N:    also the thread starting with
N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.h
N:    tml
N:
N:    If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:    this tag may indicate a bug in the tool. Some tools convert dashes of
N:    any kind to hyphens. The safe way of converting dashes is to convert
N:    them to "\-".
N:
N:    Because this error can occur very often, Lintian shows only the first 10
N:    occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:    occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run Lintian with the
N:    -d/--debug option.
N:
N:    Refer to /usr/share/doc/groff-base/README.Debian and the groff_char(7)
N:    manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: manpages, Type: binary
N:
I: policyd-weight: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz:308
I: policyd-weight: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz:309
I: policyd-weight: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man5/policyd-weight.conf.5.gz additionaly additionally
I: policyd-weight: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man8/policyd-weight.8.gz childs children