Re: RFS: solarpowerlog

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Artur R. Czechowski <arturcz@hell.pl> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:37:36PM +0100, Tobias Frost wrote:
>> The one warning -- empty-debian-diff -- is emitted as I also keep the debian
>> files in the git repository I use for development of solarpowerlog. Naturally
>> the diff is empty in this case.
>
> If you are also the upstream developer and you are planning to always keep
> Debian package with released version in sync, you can consider making the
> package as a native package.

Just to clarify, this piece of information is completely wrong.
Quoting the mentors FAQ:

"You should only use a native Debian package when it is clear that the
package would only ever be of use in Debian. Even if the software is
currently only available in Debian, if someone could reasonably use
the software on another distribution or on another operating system,
then the package should be non-native. A few examples of normal
packages are: libc6, apache, phpmyadmin. But lintian, dpkg and some
other tools are purely developed for debian, and make no sense being
released in another distribution."

It's not a matter of choice. If your package is not Debian-specific,
it can't and won't be uploaded as a native package.

Now another big problem with your package is that it's using source
package format 1.0. This is ancient, and for a new package entering
the repositories, you should probably use format 3.0 (quilt). This
would make your warning go away as well.

Don't try to take shortcuts because you're upstream. When you're
packaging your software, think of it as if you weren't the upstream
author. Debian doesn't care if you're the upstream author or not, and
the tools will complain if you try to take shortcuts. It's crucial to
keep this in mind.

Also, although I didn't review your package, I noticed that Vcs-* is
pointing to your development repositories. It should instead point to
the repositories where the Debian packaging is hosted (usually in
Alioth), if it's managed by a VCS at all. Again, development and
packaging are separate roles.

One final piece of advice: please *read* the new maintainers' guide,
the Debian policy and the mentors FAQ. This is all documented and very
well explained. I don't mean to sound rude, but the fact that you're
using format 1.0 and contemplating creating a native package for this
is indicative that you might have missed simple stuff that's very well
documented.

Regards,