Re: Shared libs dependencies

* Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> [110924 12:42]:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > The real problem with using symbol files without understandin them is
> > something like the following examples:
>
> Do you know if the abi-compliance-checker program/package copes with this case?

I don't know, but I'd rather be suprised. If it is good, it will most
likely report a compatible extension of the library's ABI in those
cases (i.e. the same with those changes that dpkg-symbols handles
perfectly automatically).

To distinguish this case (a compatible extension of ABI where just
applying the patch suggested by dpkg-gensymbols can lead to incorrect
dependencies) from the case where dpkg-gensymbol's output is enough,
I guess it would explicitly have some tests written with dpkg-symbols'
case in mind.  (Otherwise I see no reason to warn louder about those
changes not adding symbols in a path to use them than against those
that do).

	Bernhard R. Link