Re: Please advice about symbols versioning (was Re: How to close bug #620550?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 18:50:12 +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:

* KURASHIKI Satoru , 2011-08-11, 08:44:

I want to make libqdbm14 dropping gdbm emulation, and add a new
exclusive libqdbm14-gdbm package to provide compatibility for people
who uses its gdbm emulation. But, I have trouble with packaging to
satisfy dpkg-gensymbols, and stop packaging there...
cf. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=620550 [1]
Current version of libqdbm14 (1.8.77-4) has gdbm emulation, and it will
be dropped as, 1) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15 (w/o gdbm emulation)
libqdbm14-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation) 2) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm14 (w/ gdbm emulation) libqdbm15-??? (w/o gdbm emulation) 3) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15
(w/o gdbm emulation) libqdbm15-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation)

Don't use libqdbm15. Upstream might (and probably will!) use such SONAME
for their own purposes in the future.

Are there actually any packages in Debian using gdbm symbols provided by libqdbm? If there are none, I'd just drop the symbols without changing package name or SONAME, and wouldn't bother creating a separate package.

Won't that break PHP code if people are using GDBM in their applications? Even if Debian packages don't use GDBM there's no guarantee that people's applications don't. How can you provide GDBM in PHP without linking against GDBM and removing the GDBM symbols from QDBM which libphp5.so is linked against?

Links:
------
[2] mailto:lurdan@gmail.com