Re: Please advice about symbols versioning (was Re: How to close bug #620550?

* KURASHIKI Satoru <lurdan@gmail.com>, 2011-08-11, 08:44:
I want to make libqdbm14 dropping gdbm emulation, and add a new exclusive libqdbm14-gdbm package to provide compatibility for people who uses its gdbm emulation. But, I have trouble with packaging to satisfy dpkg-gensymbols, and stop packaging there...

cf. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=620550

Current version of libqdbm14 (1.8.77-4) has gdbm emulation,
and it will be dropped as,

1) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15      (w/o gdbm emulation)
                libqdbm14-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation)
2) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm14      (w/ gdbm emulation)
                libqdbm15-???  (w/o gdbm emulation)
3) libqdbm14 -> libqdbm15      (w/o gdbm emulation)
                libqdbm15-gdbm (w/ gdbm emulation)

Don't use libqdbm15. Upstream might (and probably will!) use such SONAME for their own purposes in the future.

Are there actually any packages in Debian using gdbm symbols provided by libqdbm? If there are none, I'd just drop the symbols without changing package name or SONAME, and wouldn't bother creating a separate package.

--
Jakub Wilk