Re: RFS: wmmoonclock (updated package)

Hi Rodolfo,

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 00:36 +0200, Rodolfo kix Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 20:24:26 +0200, Kilian Krause wrote:
[...]
> >> perfect, I will do it.
>
> I think is done. Some days before send the package to mentors I created
> two packages, one without patches (patches applied) and other with
> patches (unapplied). I wrote to the Author asking about add the patches
> to the source in the upstream version, but I didn't get reply. For this
> reason I sent the package with patches not applied. The author don't
> reply me yet, probably is on vacation

There is still no notion which of the patches have been posted back
upstream.

[...]
> >> ok++
>
> bonus and extra live ;-)

actually no. The top line should have an URL like
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?view=co&pathrev=174 and no need to paste the verbatim copy of GPL twice.

> >> There is not webserver yet. The info at http://windowmaker.org or
> >> http://windowmaker.info is not updated. The pages will move to a CMS
> >> soon, but there is no tarballs yet. I will update the package if the
> >> tarballs are available. Now the files are only in the GIT.
> >
> > That's quite sad but in that case the debian/copyright needs to be
> > updated
> > too (http://nis-www.lanl.gov/~mgh/WindowMaker/DockApps.shtml is no
> > longer
> > valid then). And as a personal preference I'd recommend adding a
> > get-orig-source target in the meantime which would preferably
> > reconstruct
> > some tarball with the contents of the 1.27.orig.tar.gz as is now in
> > the
> > Debian archive (if possible).
> >
> >> Ok, what should I do? Update the problems 3-7?
> >
> > Yes, and reuse the original tarball to provide the next upload to
> > mentors.d.n (which would make the list 1-7 I guess). ;-)
>
> I didn't do nothing with this part. I took the original tar.gz file
> from debian and I made the new package. But what should I do with the
> git files? How I should to update the package? why I need to update many
> things (DEP-5, DEP-3, ...) in the package if is "lintian clean"? why not
> is included in lintian these things?

The DEP-5/DEP-3 is only some minimal housekeeping to keep the package
up-to-date and follow latest developments in terms of Debian packaging.
They make reviewing a lot easier because the sponsor has to only look
for one type of syntax which he is used to. In that they are more a
convenience for the sponsor (and thus the sponsoree) than a technical
requirement.

> Anyway, probably I will need to create a new package, because the
> problem with the changelog.upstream file, but please, tell me what to do
> with the git files and how to update the package.

There is no need for a "new package" unless there's a new upstream
version.

Overall the package looks very good now except for two things:

1.) You should add dh_installchangelogs debian/changelog.upstream as
override to debian/rules until the new upstream release which would
include it in their upstream tarball.

2.) Re-add the symlink /usr/bin/wmmoonclock -> wmMoonClock

You can check the diff using "debdiff wmmoonclock_1.27-29_amd64.changes
wmmoonclock_1.27-30_amd64.changes" (or whatever arch you're on) once
you've rebuilt the old package to see the binary package changes and
"debdiff wmmoonclock_1.27-29.dsc  wmmoonclock_1.27-30.dsc" if you're
interested in the source changes.

Apart from these two changes (and the mini-fix to debian/copyright) I'd
say it's fine to be uploaded.

Updates to the Debian package should be reusing the orig.tar.gz unless
there's a new upstream release (as we are doing with the -30 right now).
Not sure what you mean with Git files.

--
Best regards,
Kilian