Re: Nitpicking: you are doing it wrong

On 07/08/2011 12:29 PM, Arno Töll wrote:
> On 08.07.2011 18:24, Adam Borowski wrote:
>> If you don't make use of newest shiniest features, higher debhelper
levels
>> just make backporting harder for no gain.
>
> There is debhelper 8 in both, lenny-backports as well as in
> squeeze-backports.

There's no debhelper 8 in Ubuntu Lucid and earlier, though.

(FYI, debhelper 8 is already in Squeeze, you don't need bpo)

> Moreover Debian packages target Sid, not (Old-) Stable, and this is
> where efforts should be invested in. Moreover backports are something
> optional, not a requirement for new packages, or something which should
> even necessarily kept in mind when working on packages.

I disagree strongly on the latter. I try to be kind to backporters, even
to deriviatives (eg, regarding Lucid above: I don't even use Ubuntu), so
unless there is a compelling reason to use compat level 8, I'll stick to 7.

The above of course can be generalized to any package, and simplified to
"unless there is a compelling reason to require version $BAR, I'll stick
to $FOO" -- which I believe is only common sense.

Regards,
Christian