Re: RFS: lebiniou, lebiniou-data

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM, David Banks <amoebae@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 June 2011 03:43, Olivier Girondel <olivier.girondel@gmail.com> wrote:
> [wrt fonts]
>> Yes, I already got a remark from Paul Wise about this, but I'm not sure
>> what to do, regarding the "source" of FreeMono.ttf
>>
>> FreeMono.ttf comes from http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/
>> but I'm not sure about what the "source" files are, any hints would be
>> welcomed
>
> At a quick glance, the source would appear to be the SFD files.  Here's
> one from the CVS:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/freefont/sfd/FreeMono.sfd?revision=1.226&root=freefont

The best way to deal with this is to not ship any fonts in the source
package and use the default system font for rendering text. Unless you
forked FreeMono, this should be acceptable to you. If you are also
targeting platforms without robust repository and dependency systems,
you can embed a copy of the font in the binary package for those
systems and place a copy of the FreeFont source tarball alongside your
binary packages. You can find source tarballs and pre-compiled TTF
files for FreeFont here:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/freefont/

If you need to use a specific font, then depend on it.

If you need to find the filename of a specific font, then use
fontconfig. If you don't want to do that then add a build-time
configuration parameter, in Debian for example that could point at the
path to FreeMono.ttf in ttf-freefont. If you don't want to do that
then add a symlink to  the path to FreeMono.ttf in ttf-freefont from
the path the program expects FreeMono.ttf to be at.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise