Re: RFS: lebiniou, lebiniou-data

Hi Olivier,

[CCing my response to the list, hope you don't mind]

On 30 June 2011 03:43, Olivier Girondel <olivier.girondel@gmail.com> wrote:
[wrt fonts]
> Yes, I already got a remark from Paul Wise about this, but I'm not sure
> what to do, regarding the "source" of FreeMono.ttf
>
> FreeMono.ttf comes from http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/
> but I'm not sure about what the "source" files are, any hints would be
> welcomed

At a quick glance, the source would appear to be the SFD files.  Here's
one from the CVS:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/freefont/sfd/FreeMono.sfd?revision=1.226&root=freefont

>> * In lebiniou-data, I'm loving the images!  Many of them are homemade,
>> but some of them look like they might be copyrighted.  All these images
>> need license statements in debian/copyright.  I'm guessing it won't be
>> practical to dig up these for some of them, so if I were you I would
>> just strip out the potentially problematic ones and only leave the ones
>> you are sure about.
>
> Would you please tell me which images could be, in your opinion,
copyrighted ?
> I tried my best to remove those that would be problematic;
> all the rest is eather home-made or under a Creative Commons license

Cool - The CC licensed images need to be stated in debian/copyright.
If you're sure they are homemade or CC, that's fine.
The ones which immediately stuck as being potentially non-free were:
  * UNIX "live free or die" plate
  * Eye in the pyramid logo
  * Possibly the Cthulhu hazard sign (which I love)
  * Matrix code (this could be generated, though)
If these have attributions, though, that's no problem.

> As far as I was tought, section 6 was for "games, and everything related,
> that does not fit within sections 1..3". lebiniou, IMHO, is not a
> "general command"
> one would include, for example, in a shell script
>
> Back to the origins, yes, it was a .1, but I decided to go to .6 since
this is
> not a (usefull) command. Arguments on this are welcomed :)

FHS says,
man1: "Most program documentation that a user will need to use is
located here."
man6: "This chapter documents games, demos, and generally trivial
programs. Different people have various notions about how essential this
is."

Personally I'd leave it in section 1 unless the package's section is
also set to 'games'.  Which I wouldn't recommend ;)

>> * I would prefer to have sequences.tar.gz installed unpacked, as it's
>> very small.  No big deal though.
>
> Do you mean, shipping it as a plain .tar ? Doable.

Ah, when I wrote that I meant to have the entire tree unpacked under
/usr/share/doc/lebinou/examples/sequences or similar.  However, after
posting my message I looked at the manual and you describe unpacking
that tarball to your home directory, so I figured your motivation was
that unpacking a tarball is easier for users than 'cp -a' or whatever.
So leave it as it is.

>> * The program didn't seem to detect audio from Rhythmbox out of the box,
>> presumably as it was trying to use the alsa plugin where rhythmbox uses
>> pulseaudio.  Maybe consider adding a note to the manual about how to
>> switch the audio plugin, for new users.
>
> This is one of the main problems regarding linux distros[1], I chose to
> make ALSA a default, since some people are reluctant using PulseAudio,
> I'll try my best finding a way to document this, (if you have any hint
on this,
> I'd be happy to get it)
>
> [1] Not to mention that lebiniou is also supposed to run under *BSDs ;)

I think just an instruction "Pulseaudio users: use -i pulseaudio" should
be OK, plus instructions on how to set that more permanently.

Cheers,
--
David Banks  <amoebae@gmail.com>