Re: RFS: lebiniou, lebiniou-data

Hi Olivier,

On 05/04/11 18:24, Olivier Girondel wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my packages "lebiniou" and
> "lebiniou-data".

Sadly I am not a DD, but I am responding to Michael's request for
non-DDs to review packages.
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/06/msg00388.html)

Technical quality of the package is overall very good.  Not to mention
the program itself is very impressive, I'll definitely be using it in
the future.

wrt to debian/copyright file there are a few issues:

* You might consider using DEP-5 as a best practice, this is up to you.
* You should probably mention the original author and license of
src/pnglite.[ch] in the copyright file.
* You should mention the copyright on fonts/FreeMono.ttf and preferably
ship the source if possible.  Alternatively, repack and exclude it.

(About the latter, I see that in Makefile.am you use --enable-debian to
disable installing the fonts.  I would say as a matter of style you
should keep all debian-specific tweaks inside the 'debian' directory.
Arguably it's better to patch the Makefile than to put this option in.
Regardless of where you put the option, though, everything in the
_source_ package needs a copyright statement.)

* In lebiniou-data, I'm loving the images!  Many of them are homemade,
but some of them look like they might be copyrighted.  All these images
need license statements in debian/copyright.  I'm guessing it won't be
practical to dig up these for some of them, so if I were you I would
just strip out the potentially problematic ones and only leave the ones
you are sure about.

* Manpage is lebiniou.6, but I'm not sure if Le Biniou would be called a
"game", though you can see it as one.  I'd be comfortable with it under
section 1.

* A few natural language nit picks about the description:
   "When you run Le Biniou it gives a revolutionary rendering of the
    sound you are playing."
  I don't disagree that it's revolutionary ;) but evolutionary might
  fit better with the short package description.
    "chose your own series of pictures"
  You probably mean 'choose'
    "discover a multidimensional –spatial and chromatic– way"
  Dash separation normally looks like " - ".  You want a space before
  'spatial' and a space after 'chromatic'.
    "comprehending musics and sounds"
  'Musics' is actually a valid plural but that's quite a strange
   academic usage, I'm guessing you meant just 'music'.

* I would prefer to have sequences.tar.gz installed unpacked, as it's
very small.  No big deal though.

* The program didn't seem to detect audio from Rhythmbox out of the box,
presumably as it was trying to use the alsa plugin where rhythmbox uses
pulseaudio.  Maybe consider adding a note to the manual about how to
switch the audio plugin, for new users.

Nice work!  One step closer.  ;)

Cheers,
David