Stripping non-free/unnecessary files out of orig.tar.gz

Hello All.

In my package (opencpn) there are couple of binary files
without source code/with unfree license that is required
only for OS X and Windows builds (those are some dlls and
redistributable files).

Upstream does like to keep them in original tarball and in
the git version control system and I obviously get lintian
warning about them.

What is the proper way to handle this?

I created a simple script that does "tar --exclude ..." and
creates opencpn_2.4~611.orig.tar.gz out of upstream git
repository.

However I look to be havong some problems with quilt due to
this when I try to use pdebuild:

 dpkg-source --before-build opencpn
  fakeroot debian/rules clean
  dh  clean
     dh_testdir
        dh_auto_clean
	   dh_clean
	    dpkg-source -b opencpn
	    dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0
	    (quilt)'
	    dpkg-source: info: building opencpn using
	    existing ./opencpn_2.4~611.orig.tar.gz
	    dpkg-source: warning: file
	    opencpn/buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/CopyNSISUnicodeRegKey.bat
	    has no final newline (either original or
	    modified version)
	    dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
	    opencpn/buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/nsis-2.46-Unicode-setup.exe:
	    binary file contents changed
	    dpkg-source: error: add
	    buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/nsis-2.46-Unicode-setup.exe
	    in debian/source/include-binaries if you want to
	    store the modified binary in the debian tarball
	    dpkg-source: warning: file
	    opencpn/buildwin/NSIS_Unicode/Include/UAC.nsh
	    has no final newline (either original or
	    modified version)

Looks like this is due to quilt trying to record those
changes as an automatic debian-changes patch that I
certainly does not want. Any way to say it ignore this?

Another option is to use pbuilder --build
opencpn_2.4~611-1.dsc, but for that I will need
debian.tar.gz to be generated some way.

Any suggestions?

--
Anton Martchukov