Re: RFS: gtkpod (updated package)

Ciao Arno,

On 02/05/2011 16:23, Arno Töll wrote:
> Hi Matteo,
>
> On 02.05.2011 15:55, Matteo F. Vescovi wrote:
>> Yes, but no reply at present time. I asked them for info concerning who
>> should be the maintainer (me?) and the uploader (now the Frank orphaned
>> the package) to modify debian/control file accordingly.
>
> That information is not related to upstream. This is a pure Debian
> internal matter. If you took over the package by adopting it, you /are/
> the maintainer. Since there is an Alioth project for you already you may
> want to set the pkg-gtkpkd list as maintainer and yourself as uploader
> instead.

Sorry, I misread; I meant I wrote to the pkg-gtkpod-devel team.
I wrote to the upstream mailing list only once to get some info about
how to manage configure flags regarding GTK and GDK.

>> Never thought
>> the split of the library could be an issue; it has been suggested by the
>> guys in #debian-mentors to resolv a lintian warning.
>> Once they'll knock on my door, I'll ask them even about this.
>> Thank you for the advice.
>
> It wasn't me in particular to suggest you this, however I somewhat
> followed your progress: Your problem is, you can't (read: should not)
> install libraries into a system wide location (e.g. /usr/lib/) from a
> binary package whose name is not lib<whatever>. If you do nonetheless
> lintian will croak and the DD which is interested to sponsor you will
> ask you to change this.
>
> You have two alternatives:
>
> * Provide libfoo as you did and install to a system wide location, but
> if you do the library must be useful for /other/ packages than yours too
> and you should include a -dev package providing headers and .so symlinks
> which allows other people to link against your package. I don't think
> your library falls in this category.
> * Install the library to a program local location, e.g /usr/lib/gtkpod
> and ship it in the main package. If you prefer this way, you probably
> have to tweak Makefile and/or library search paths on link time a bit,
> if upstream does not support this by default. Don't consider setting
> rpath though.

So I have only one alternative :-) And doesn't sound easy, at least for
me ;-) But I'll give me a try... maybe I could even succeed :-)

Thanks for your constant help.

mfv

--
Ing. Matteo F. Vescovi

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'