Re: RFS: gtkpod (updated package)

Hi Matteo,

On 02.05.2011 15:55, Matteo F. Vescovi wrote:
> Yes, but no reply at present time. I asked them for info concerning who
> should be the maintainer (me?) and the uploader (now the Frank orphaned
> the package) to modify debian/control file accordingly.

That information is not related to upstream. This is a pure Debian
internal matter. If you took over the package by adopting it, you /are/
the maintainer. Since there is an Alioth project for you already you may
want to set the pkg-gtkpkd list as maintainer and yourself as uploader
instead.

> Never thought
> the split of the library could be an issue; it has been suggested by the
> guys in #debian-mentors to resolv a lintian warning.
> Once they'll knock on my door, I'll ask them even about this.
> Thank you for the advice.

It wasn't me in particular to suggest you this, however I somewhat
followed your progress: Your problem is, you can't (read: should not)
install libraries into a system wide location (e.g. /usr/lib/) from a
binary package whose name is not lib<whatever>. If you do nonetheless
lintian will croak and the DD which is interested to sponsor you will
ask you to change this.

You have two alternatives:

* Provide libfoo as you did and install to a system wide location, but
if you do the library must be useful for /other/ packages than yours too
and you should include a -dev package providing headers and .so symlinks
which allows other people to link against your package. I don't think
your library falls in this category.
* Install the library to a program local location, e.g /usr/lib/gtkpod
and ship it in the main package. If you prefer this way, you probably
have to tweak Makefile and/or library search paths on link time a bit,
if upstream does not support this by default. Don't consider setting
rpath though.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll