Re: Overwriting binary files when building a package

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:25:08PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Thomas Weber <tweber@debian.org> [111211 22:08]:
> > my upstream ships documentation in PDF format in the normal sources.
> > Upon build, I re-create those files[1]. The newly generated PDF files
> > differ from the originally shipped ones. So, I have a problem asserting
> > that "debian/rules clean" gives me the same source tree as "dpkg-source
> > -x" which seems to ask for trouble
>
> To get dpkg-source happy is easy: Just remove the files in
> "debian/rules clean". dpkg-source will then assert those files do not
> need representation in the .diff (or in a patch). It will print a little
> notice which files were treated that way and otherwise just behave the
> way you want it.
>
> > In fact, we already see some issues when using git-buildpackage right
> > now.
>
> git-buildpackage might be some other issue. As this seems to be the only
> think to give you troubles here,

Well, git-buildpackage is one thing. The problem is really that
"debian/rules clean" doesn't give the same as "dpkg-source -x".

As far as I understand Stefano in
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org/msg22803.html,
I have no guarantee that a buildd will actually run the "clean" target
before building the package.

Thanks
	Thomas