Re: I'm looking for sponsor(s) to add my SourceForge packages to Debian

Hello Philip

On 12.12.2011 13:03, Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> Where (which URL) is the source package for the version you want
>> sponsored into Debian? That's what needs to be examined and discussed
>> here.
>>
> v3c: http://sourceforge.net/projects/v3c/files/v3c-2.3.0-01.tar.gz/download
> Just uploaded.

... but this is still not a final Debian package. If you really meant to
ask someone to package your software for Debian you should be filing a
RFP (request for package) bug against the wnpp pseudo-package instead.
Since RFP requests more or less never work you perhaps want to package
it yourself. When doing so, you should be filing an ITP (intend to
package) bug instead and familiarize yourself with our rules and
procedures like policy [1] and New Maintainer's Guide [2]

As people pointed out: A Debian package we are used to sponsor here
consists of a full source package which is quite different than a source
tarball.

As a random note: While skipping through your v3c package I noticed you
are producing a Debian package from a semi-static template like

<snip>
Maintainer: @PACKAGE_AUTHOR@ <@PACKAGE_EMAIL@>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7), @DEBIAN_REQUIRES@
Standards-Version: 3.7.3
Section: unknown
</snip>

That's of course not meeting our quality standard as is.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

- --
with kind regards,