Re: I'm looking for sponsor(s) to add my SourceForge packages to Debian

On 12/12/11 08:44, Ben Finney wrote:
Philip Ashmore<contact@philipashmore.com>  writes:

I've got several projects in SourceForge and I would like to add the
following to Debian, as they're reasonably mature
Are they packaged for Debian now?

A package sponsor helps a maintainer by taking their *already-packaged*
work and confirming it's done well, then uploading it to Debian.

The actual work of packaging the work for Debian must be done by someone
(or more) who takes on the role of maintainer for that package.

All of that needs to be done before you seek a sponsor for the package.

At<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/>  you'll find links to the Debian New
Maintainers' Guide and the Debian Developer's Reference. The package
maintainer(s) will need to read and know those documents.

Thanks for your interest in improving Debian.

Well, it goes a bit further than being packaged for Debian.

The v3c package includes make scripts that allow you to build Debian packages via "make debian". This can also be done using a cloned git repository via "make git branch=X.Y.Z release debian".

You can also make debug and release builds with "make debug" and "make release" as well as from git -
"git branch=X.Y.Z releasedistcheck".

The other packages "inherit" this functionality.

Their top-level makefiles also include the package name, version and description so you can update this in one place.

As for descriptions, here are the ones in SourceForge:
v3c: v3c is a collection of c++ utility classes that work together to provide useful functionality. treedb: treedb is a C library that implements on-disk memory. See v3c-dcom for an example!
meta-treedb: meta-treedb implements on-disk memory using meta-data
v3c-dcom: v3c-dcom aims to provide a complete DCOM (distributed Component Object Model) environment for linux. Write plug-in components and register them with multiple sandboxes (registries). Then access the components by GUID or ProgID.
v3c-qt: v3c-qt is an automake helper for developing with QT4

I regularly build debug and release builds as the debug builds are easier to debug code and examine variables,
so I guess I'd also be looking for direction in this regard.

The v3c package could be split into separate "build-foundation" and "class-library" packages - again, direction appreciated.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore